A Light unto England Manchester

Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 45-Manchester England-Manchester

Hi Family!

Before I forget, this next week is transfers and the idea of leaving Stretford is ultra-unlikely. I will either email your next Wednesday or Thursday. Whether I have a new companion or not it completely up in the air.

Julian is still doing quite well. He loves being around us. We had tea with a member from Mexico with him the other day and he loved it. He also loved church yesterday. He was a bit hesitant on the Law of Chastity intially due to passed circumstances but all was well the second time around. We are teaching him the Word of Wisdom tomorrow and pray that goes well. He does drink but I think it is more socially. He is definitely a 20-year-old Colombian kid who likes to party so hopefully the Spirit can touch his heart tomorrow of the truthfulness of the inspired principle.

As far as safety goes, everything is well. The rioters are only rioting for the sake of it here in Manchester and it only really happened one day. We were asked to avoid Piccadilly for a day and we stayed in for the evening the day it all happened. Luckily, we had Multi-Zone Trainings that day. After that nothing happened and everything is under control. Some of the shops around Piccadilly have boards where some windows were smashed.

I had quite the experience setting up an appointment with someone on the bus who was deaf. We were on a double-decker and I went to the back of the bus to sit next to him on the top floor. I started speaking when he immediately signaled with his hands pointing to his ears that he couldn't hear me. I however persisted in lipping words very slowly. We were able to show thumbs-up and smiles to communicate agreement/understanding. I was able to use hand gestures, the Restoration leaflet, and the Book of Mormon to have a quality gospel converstaion on the bus to someone who couldn't even speak! I was able to show so simply the principle of authority, prophets, and prayer all by using visual movements and pictures. I then gestured that we wanted to tell him more about the Book of Mormon and he accepted. I pulled out my planner and started thumbing through which day was best for him. He selected Monday (today) at seven. I was able to get his address and name as well. I hope we do see him.

It was absolutely fascinating to me how the simplicity of the event had a very profound impact on me as I have reflected upon it. I thought about a man with humble situations and circumstances who couldn't hear, let alone speak, could understand simple gospel principles better than all of the educated and eloquent people who are only intrigued with the doctrines of men rather than the truthfulness of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Whether we teach him or not, I know that both Winston Wellington and I were taught in both of our minds and in our hearts that day on the 256 double-decker bus.

We were able to teach two Hindu's yesterday named Reda and BJ. They were very kind and very devot in their religion. They are both from India and are fantastic. We were able to exchange beliefs but we were able to pray and teach them the message of the Restoration. They invited us to their Hindu temple to have food and we invited them to church, reading and praying about the Book of Mormon, and baptism. The accepted the first two of the three extended :) We are teaching them again Sunday but I don't know about attending the Hindu temple, we will no doubt need approval for that.

Lastly, I'll share some of my thoughts and feelings on Alma 5. In the previous chapter, it discusses the thousands of converts who were baptized and entered the Church. Shortly thereafter however, pride and contention inflated among Church members, thus disallowing progression to occur among the Church. Alma shows his love and concern for the welfare of the saints souls by leaving the judgment-seat and solely dedicating himself to his calling as high priest over the Chruch. I thought abould that great act of boldnesss and faith to make for the people he presides over.

A thought that came to me as I was studying verses 4-13 was Moroni's Promise. Alma preaches to the land of Zarahemla to remember the mercy of the Lord to them personally and to their fathers. When we remember the tender mercies of the Lord from the beginning to now, we too can have the promise that Alma extends that Heavenly Father will change our hearts as we yield to his will.

I abosolutely love his thought provoking/inspiried questions thorughout the chapter. I loved verse 38 as well. I could feel the Spirit of the increase amount of love Alma showed after heavily rebuking them. The Good Shepherd truly does continually call us to come and follow Him. What a sacred action and invitation.

Unfortunately that is all the time I have to share but I love you and will speak to you next week!

Love,
Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment