A Light unto England Manchester

Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 43-Manchester England-Manchester

Dear family,

It was a fantastic week here in Manchester. I was able to see great blessings in occurance throughout the week. A lot of work still needed to be done here in the vineyard of Stretford, but I hope that all continues to go well with yourselves and I.

First, I will share some thoughts and insights in my studies this past week. I went through "Preach My Gospel" on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. As I was reading and studying on the topic of repentance, I turned to the Bible Dictionary. In Greek, repentance means a change of mind. I then found myself reflecting on the idea that the Spirit's influence must be present in order for us to have this change of mind to occur. Those who have the necessity to feel the Spirit witness to them of the second principle of the Savior's gospel must first show the primary step that takes the initial leap of faith: humility. In order for one to repent and feel the influence of the Holy Ghost, they must be submissive to anything that draws them to the Redeemer. Whether it be an action, event ,circumstance, or environment it must influence one's self to show humility towards faith in the Master.

My exchange with Elder Metseranta was brilliant. Throughout our exchange, we were able to have great conversations on desires, the importance of continual progression, and experiences in our time as missionaries. It was a "refiner's fire" kind of day. We had mostly finding on our first day together, but that is when we were able to get to know each other and learn from one another the best. Elder Metseranta was a great example in diligence as well as teaching to meet the needs of the investigator. I absolutely loved it.

We also have an investigator dated for the 27 of August. His name is Julian Ruiz and he is from Colombia and is 20. I spoke to him a about a week and half a go on the bus to interviews and trainings. He obviously spoke Spanish so we had a minimal conversation in his native tongue. He didn't have any belief in God and I talked about and showed him the Book of Mormon. I mentioned that it was proof that God exsists and that He loves all of His children. I then set up an appointment with him that intially fell through due to his schedule. We arranged another time and since we have seen him twice. He came to church with us yesterday and enjoyed it.

After sacrament, I followed-up with him on how his prayers were. He gave a very detailed description in what he had said in his prayer the night before and how he felt as he did so. He mentioned that it felt a little bit like he was praying to no one. I just told him keep working at it and that it just takes practice. I was very grateful for his humility on keeping all the commitments we have extended to him thus far. Pray that he continues to progress and that the language barrier won't effect his progression.

Dan Campbell unfortunately did not make it to church. We taught him on Saturday about desires with refrences to Dallin H. Oaks last conference talk. He expressed that he wants to commit to full activity again and have the vision of attending the temple to recieve his endowment. He said he was taking the bus to church but unfortuntely did not show. We will be seeing him later on in the week.

The wards here are not doing this 15 program. They have a ward mission plan and a list of 5 names to each set of missionaries in this ward. Dan Campbell is one of ours. The ward mission leader is great and is doing a lot of great things to help the ward progress. They have reach-out nights every two weeks to try by less/inactives.

We have been doing a between an hour of two of service at a charity shop the past couple of weeks. We move furniture from downstairs to upstairs and vice-versa. I offer to service nearly everyone I meet but the English are a very closed people and are difficult to the idea of accepting help. Working with charities or small organizations is probably the most effective way to build service oriented relationships in order to share the gospel in this country. Luckily I am told but nearly all that the north is very much more friendlier than the south and am grateful for that. But don't misunderstand me from these statements, I love English and everything about them!

I hope your last summer month goes fantastically! When does school start? Is anyone exicted? I myself can't believe how quickly the time has gone either. It seems like yesterday was my first day in Southport.

We went to the driving range last Monday (P-Day). It took me a while to get some distance at all but I finally did and ended well with a nice blister on my thumb. We are going to he Manchester University Museum today so that should be great as well.

Here are some pictures of Elder Lamb and I as well as the other Elders in our flat/area. Elder Davey (left) from Sussex, England and Elder Gianotti from Milan Italy.

I have a fantastic driving instructor named Ian from Nottingham. I'm the first American he has taught and we started a good relationship right off the get-go. I had a very good lesson with him last week and I have two lessons this week for tomorrow and Wednesday.

I love you all and again hope all is well in Potato Land. May we continually recognize the Lord's hand in all that we do as we are obedient to the principles and ordinances of HIs gospel.

Love,
Cameron

P.S. I just sent Colton an email regarding last weeks letter. Also, if you could possibly send a letter to Elder Lamb, that would be fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment